For more than 55 years Florida YMCA Youth In Government has provided young leaders the opportunity to gather together to make their voices heard, their passions known, and their values strengthened.
Our programs are a part of the YMCA’s efforts to serve our communities through programs focused on Youth Development and Social Responsibility. Additional Youth In Government program goals include:
- Awareness of societal issues and solutions
- Confidence in and dedication to the democratic process
- Increased participative leadership skills
- Increased communication skills
- Respect for diverse viewpoints
- Accountability and respect for the rights of others
- Application of moral and ethical values processes to public policy making
- Enriching the formal education process with reality based learning experiences
- Career exposure for youth
Some of the many benefits of participating in Youth In Government include:
- Opportunity to make a significant impact on the local communities
- Community Service Hours: Through projects designed by our Youth Leadership Team, you will be able to earn hours you need for scholarships and to graduate. Students who serve in leadership roles typically earn 150+ hours per year! Florida YIG is also an Official Certifying Organization for the President’s Volunteer Service Awards program.
- College credits/course waivers: Participating in YIG for 2+ years can qualify you to waive the required speech competency credit at Florida’s universities. A savings of more than $700!
- Exposure to elected officials and policy leaders
- Recognition among peers for hard work, dedication, and a job well-done: Among recognitions given at various statewide and national events, Florida YIG Seniors with 3+ years in YIG are awarded this honor by the Florida YIG Alumni Association.
- Mentoring: Ability to be mentored by graduates of the program and in turn mentor upcoming middle school delegates via our Jr. Youth In Government program